“Understanding yesterday, for the benefit of today and tomorrow”
LONG LOST COUSINS RE-
Roger Yates, son of local historian the late George Yates, has been re-
The cousins had last seen one another in 1963 despite Roger’s attempts at tracing Valerie, but when Valerie, who now lives in Nuneaton, was searching the internet she found the History Society’s website and was delighted to discover ‘Memories of Kibworth High Street and Fleckney Road’ by Joan Spain, on the ‘Memories’ section of the website. Valerie contacted the History Society and was put in touch with Roger’s son, Mark. Several emotional telephone calls have since taken place and they are looking to meeting in the near future.
Roger, Valerie, and David Yates in 1963 when they last saw each other.
KIBWORTH HONOURS EYE SURGEON: Sir Harold Ridley
A blue plaque was unveiled on 18 February 2012 as a memorial to Sir Harold Ridley, born here in Kibworth in 1906.
Harold Ridley trained as an ophthalmic surgeon and had many achievements in his career, but most notably the development of the operation to correct eye cataracts. It took many years for his pioneering work to be recognised by the medical fraternity but now it has given fresh sight to millions of folk around the world.
The plaque was unveiled by Sir Harold’s son, Nicholas, at a public ceremony witnessed by some 70 people including representatives from The Ridley Eye Foundation. Fascinating speeches were made by Nicholas Ridley (who recalled family episodes as well as his father’s career), Margaret Stowe (now a Kibworth resident who in her younger days was a nurse working with Sir Harold at Moorfields Eye Hospital), Geoffrey Woodruff (consultant ophthalmologist in Leicestershire, who has taken a special interest in Sir Harold’s achievements and more recent applications for children), and Edward Garnier MP. The event was also attended by the press and film crews.
The idea for the erection of the blue plaque came from Bob Haggerty, a village resident who underwent cataract surgery in July 2011, Kibworth History Society successfully researched and identified the house where Sir Harold was born, and the blue plaque was paid for by the Kibworth Improvement Team.
Nicholas Ridley, Bob Haggerty and Edward Garnier MP outside Little Lebanon, formerly The Gables, birthplace of Sir Harold Ridley.
Saturday 13th April 2013 saw the unveiling of a blue plaque as a memorial to Philip Doddridge, well known theologian, who lived and worked in Kibworth Harcourt for several years between 1719 and 1725.
The unveiling was conducted by Malcolm Deacon, biographer of Doddridge, at the White House, Leicester Road, previously home to the Dissenting Academy, and was attended by local residents, members of Kibworth History Society, and representatives of Kibworth Improvement Team.
After the ceremony Malcolm kindly presented copies of his book ‘Philip Doddridge of Northampton’ to the assembled group.
SECOND BLUE PLAQUE UNVEILED
THIRD BLUE PLAQUE UNVEILED
Kibworth’s third blue plaque, in honour of Anna Laetitia Barbauld and her brother, John Aitkin, was unveiled on Saturday 11th May 2013 by Edward Garnier MP.
Anna Laetitia was born on 20th June 1743 at 'The Old House' in Kibworth Harcourt, the eldest child of John and Jane Aikin. She is remembered especially for her splendid literary works, prose and poetry, and was a pioneer in writing for children. John Aitkin was a renowned physician, botanist and author.
Short speeches were given by Barbauld expert Professor William McCarthy, eminent historian, Dr Michael Woods, and Sessional Lecturer at Birbeck College, University of London, Dr Naomi Lightman.
Debbie James of Kibworth Bookshop gave a couple of readings from Barbauld’s works.
The plaque was paid for by Kibworth Improvement Team and uses the modern day spelling of Anna’s second name.
Professor William McCarthy at The Old House
GRANT AWARD TO KIBWORTH HISTORY SOCIETY (September 2013)
For some time now the Society has been seeking a grant to enable it to purchase its own laptop computer and electronic projector. The aim is to secure in one place our historical records for the benefit of present day and future generations.
The Society is delighted to announce that a grant has recently been awarded by Leicestershire County Council from the Big Society Fund. This enables us to proceed with the project.
Photographic prints and archive documents will be digitised to supplement and expand the Society’s website which is already used by numerous organisations and individuals, both local and international. The material in digitised format will greatly enhance our ability to show local history to groups.
Older News items may be read on the News Archive page.