“Understanding yesterday, for the benefit of today and tomorrow”
Born in Kibworth Harcourt on 18th October 1834, Charles was the son of John Marriott, a surgeon, and wife Georgiana. After attending Uppingham School, Charles was articled to Mr Nash of Northampton and, after 3 years’ appenticeship proceeded to University College, London, receiving instruction from Sir William Jenner.
In 1859 he became House-
He was amongst the early doctors to embrace motor transport and, according to his obituary in the British Medical Journal, he would put a nurse, a portable operating table, and half a dozen bags full of surgical appliances into his tonneau, and race away to an operation or accident twenty miles away. He was elected to the General Council of the British Medical Association in 1874, and in 1876 was appointed a trustee for the Leicester Royal Infirmary’s property and stocks, the only member of the medical staff to achieve that position.
In 1882 he was elected President of the Medical Society. He was Deputy Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace for the County and City of Leicester. The Marriott ward on the first floor of the Langham Wing at the Infirmary was opened in 1923 and perpetuates his name.
Sir Charles Hayes Marriott M.D., F.R.C.S., D.L., J.P.
Charles Marriott was captain of Kibworth Cricket Club and whilst playing in home matches his medical training was occasionally called upon. In one game, Alfred Knapp, had a dislocated thumb reset, and during another match, one of his team suffered abdominal pains that were quickly diagnosed as appendicitis. The patient, John Thomas Freer, was immediately taken to the Infirmary with Charles Marriott closely behind. On arrival at the Infirmary the cricket club captain, Charles Marriott, removed the offending organ.
He is credited with the distinction of being the only person to have hit a cricket ball over the now demolished John & Barnes hosiery factory on the corner of Fleckney Road and Dover Street, gaining a well deserved and magnificent six.
Charles Marriott was the first chairman of Harcourt Parish Council and is commemorated in the village by Marriott Drive, although Harborough District Council managed to misspell the Marriott name, by omitting the final “t”, when the name-
Sir Charles Marriott died on the 14th February 1910 and is buried at St. Wilfrid’s churchyard in Kibworth.
Commemorative plaque in the Marriott Ward at Leicester Royal Infirmary
Flowers on the Marriott grave at St Wilfrid’s church, Kibworth after Sir Charles Marriott’s burial
Portrait of Sir Charles Marriott in the old Boardroom at Leicester Royal Infirmary
The following are extracts relating to Charles Hayes Marriott from the book ‘The Leicester Royal Infirmary 1771-
Words in italics within square brackets are explanatory notes by the transcriber to give context to the extracts.
‘His successor, Charles Hayes Marriott, was appointed on 1 December [1859, as house surgeon] and his intelligence and good sense may have had some calming influence. By this time the doctors must have begun to realise that they could no longer maintain that they had the best interests of the Infirmary at heart, and yet continue to ignore its most pressing need for rebuilding.’ page 113 [The medical officers had been in dispute for several years with the board of governors. Marriott’s appointment as house surgeon was on 1 Dec 1959.]
‘The house surgeon, Charles Marriott, tendered his resignation, and was appointed, with Charles Richard Crossley, one of two new honorary surgeons elected in November . Like Crossley, Marriott was a Leicestershire man, from Kibworth where his father and grandfather had been doctors, and for the next 40 years he was the Infirmary’s most distinguished surgeon.’ page 132
‘Both Charles Marriott and the hospital secretary, T A Wykes, had close connections with the Institution [that is, Leicester’s ‘Institution for Trained Nurses’] as chairman and secretary; some of the governors were on the committee of the Institution, and their influence gradually affected the weekly board [of the Infirmary].’ page 137 [At the Infirmary Board’s request, the Institution for Trained Nurses took over full control of nursing at the Infirmary from 1875 to 1883 and in that time significantly raised nursing standards.]
‘Lister’s antiseptics were introduced  before Bond became house surgeon, but he recalled “the interest with which I, as House Surgeon, then watched the early and successful operations performed by Sir Charles Marriott, such for instance, as ovariotomy and other abdominal operations, rendered possible and safe by Lister’s methods”.’ page 146
‘Leicester surgeons excelled in abdominal surgery, and both Charles Marriott and Charles John Bond were noted practitioners in this field. Marriott contributed a series of important papers to the Medical Society, of which he was president in 1882, and was one of the first people to advocate exploratory laparotomy in cases of doubtful diagnosis. His work for the Infirmary over 40 years was not confined to surgery. In 1876 he was made one of the trustees for the hospital’s property and stocks, the only example of the appointment of a member of the medical staff to that position.’ page 182.
It is interesting to note that Sir Charles' son Cecil Edward Marriott, MCh (Cantab), FRCS followed Sir Charles at the Infirmary, first as assistant surgeon 1901-